Please find herewith the February 2016 edition of the Counterpoint Research Market Pulse covering the global sales in January 2016.
Some of common themes after January 2016 sales analysis & monthly research topic are given below:
- Sell-through was seasonally weak through January. Ahead of the Lunar New Year festival, sales in China and Korea were slightly higher than a year ago. However, in all other regions sales were lower y/y with few evident catalysts.
- Sell-in shipments dropped much more, helping the market clear inventory from the channels.
- Apple saw its share fall dramatically as interest in the iPhone 6s/Plus faded. This was not a total surprise as ‘s’ versions usually do less well than lead products in the iPhone series. It does however raise concerns over whether Apple is able to drive sufficient innovation into the forthcoming iPhone 7 to reignite forward momentum.
- Samsung is holding steady with around one fifth of the smartphone market. Its share is not evenly distributed though. It is notably continuing to suffer in China. However, India, which still has considerable smartphone growth potential, is more receptive to Samsung; growing share in both overall handsets and smartphones. The other brands showing good share performance are all Chinese: Huawei, Oppo, Vivo and Alcatel.
- China’s Lunar New Year drove a slight y/y uptick in sales thanks to promotions through multiple stores in the run-up to the week-long festival.
- China’s mobile payments revolution continues apace and is expected to continue growing strongly nationwide in 2016 with AliPay and WeChat pay enjoying dominant share.
Table of Contents:
- Key Takeaways
- Monthly Research Topic
- Chinese New Year sales performance
- 2016 China operator strategy
- Chinese mobile payment war
- The Market
- Market Sizing – Demand & Supply
- O/S Landscape
- Market by Price Band
- Competitive Landscape
- Country Analysis: US / China / India
- Market Share by Price Band
- Vendor Analysis: Revenue Structures
- Features and Specs
- Hardware trends and feature adoption rates
- Average feature sets
- Vendor market share by feature set
List of Tables & Charts:
- Subsidy Strategy of the 3 Main Operators in China
- China Smart Phone Shipment by the 3 Main Operators in China
- China Mobile Payment Scale
- Handsets Sell-through Sales Vs Sell-in Shipments
- Handset Market Volume by Price Band
- Smartphone Market Volume by Price Band
- Handset Market Share in China / US / India
- Smartphone Market Share in China / US / India
- Market Share by Price Band in China / US
- Price Analysis by Vendor
- Hardware Feature Analysis on Smartphones
- Market Share by Key Features I – III
- Android Display Size Analysis I - IV
Number of Pages: 49
Author: Peter Richardson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Published Date: March 2016