Our Q4-2019 Market Monitor report has been published. We release one Infographic in each quarter to summarize the handset and smartphone market activities in a single page.
Some quick observations from the smartphone market:
- Global smartphone shipments grew 2% YoY reaching 401.1 million units in Q4 2019.
- MEA (14% YoY) grew the highest, followed by India (12% YoY).
- World's largest smartphone market, China, declined 10% YoY. This was its 8th consecutive quarterly decline.
- After two years, Apple gained the top spot in the global smartphone market. Shipments for Apple grew 10% YoY even without a 5G variant.
- Huawei* registered a decline (6% YoY) for the first time after 2017 Q4. The aggressive shipments in China, where it grew 12% YoY, was unable to offset the global decline in all the other regions.
- Xiaomi grew 28% YoY even though it declined 17% YoY in China. The overseas expansion over the last few years has made it less dependent on its home market.
- Vivo surpassed OPPO for the first time since 2015 Q2, to become the 5th largest brand in 2019 Q4. OPPO slipped out of the top 5.
- Samsung's growth slowed down to 1% YoY during the quarter.
Some quick observations from the feature phone market:
- Global feature phone shipments declined 12% annually reaching 105.5 million units in Q4 2019.
- MEA captured over 38% of the global feature phone market. Feature phone shipments in MEA grew 10% YoY during the quarter.
- Transsion Group led the global feature phone market capturing over 29% of the market share.
- Alcatel led the feature phone market in North America driven by the GoFlip series.
- KaiOS continued to expand into Africa and entered the Pakistan market as well by launching the cheapest smart feature phone globally (11 USD).
Table of Contents:
- Global Smartphone Shipments Market Share
- Regional Smartphone Market Share
- Global Feature phone Shipments Market Share
- Regional Feature Phone Market Share
Number of Pages: 2
Published Date: March 2020