- Global Handset Sell-in and Sell-Through Declined
- Sell through dropped 9% compared to last year and it was mostly caused by the Chinese market. Due to COVID-19 (coronavirus) sales during the last week in January were dismal.
- Both USA and China showed weak demand. China in dropped 18% compared to last year. Japan was probably the only market we saw growing in January compared to December. Even sales in Japan were lower than last year.
- Sell in has dropped to 142 million units in January. Sell in was lower than sell through for the first time since April last year
- Apple, Samsung and Huawei Register MoM Decline
- Apple declined 18% MoM, but it was up 4.1% YoY. This was mostly due to seasonality in the Western markets (especially the US) with lower promotions and dip in store foot traffic post-holidays. China registered 9.7% MoM dip in Apple volumes, but we can expect COVID-19 to impact next month’s volumes.
- Samsung declined 10.7% MoM and 1.7% YoY. EU and few SE-Asian countries registered a weaker uptake. India registered a 10% MoM dip. A50 and A30 demand was weaker than previous month in EU and MEA.
- Huawei declined 6.3% MoM and 11.4% YoY. Demand remained comparatively stable in China with marginal MoM decline. Huawei was weak in the EU.
- Ultra-Premium and Premium Price Band Volume Declined, Samsung Gained Marginally
- In the ultra-premium price band ($800+), top two best-selling models accounted for 69% of total sell-through this month, as compared to 75% during the previous month. This was mostly due to dip in Apple volumes. Samsung gained share marginally as Samsung flagship volumes did not decline as much as Apple.
- Sell-through in premium ($600-$799) price band increased almost 13% MoM. Samsung flagship GS10/Note 10 volumes dipped. Apple and Huawei remained stable.
Table of Contents:
- Key Takeaways
- Global Mobile Handset Market Analysis
- Country-Level Smartphone Market Analysis
- Global Hardware Feature Analysis
- Global Hit Model Analysis
Author: Hanish Bhatia
Number of Pages: 39
Published Date: March 2020
If you are interested in purchase, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org